Saturday, May 21, 2005

The Original Muffin


MuffinCat
Originally uploaded by Mystery Mommy.

A poem and the resulting comments over at Papernapkin reminded me of my late cat, the original Muffin.

We adopted Muffin as a kitten from the Brooklyn ASPCA when I was nine. My mom and I went into the kitten cage and this little skinny ball of fluff jumped right into my arms. From that moment, he was mine.

He was 8 weeks old when we got him, and he grew from a fluff-ball into a leggy teenager and then...

It was a few years before we realized he was a compulsive eater. We bought one of those dry food things that holds enough food for a week. We filled it up and went out to run some errands. When we got back, Muffin was passed out, face-down in the food bowl. There were three pieces of dry food left.

We once discovered that he had sneaked into a neighbor's house, beaten up their German Shepherd and was found eating his way to the bottom of the dog food bag.

He was a total lovey cat though. He looooooved to have his tummy rubbed (see picture). He would sleep next to me with his head on my pillow at night. When we came home he would come running for hugs and kisses.

By the time he was 3, he bore a pretty good likeness to the B. Kliban cats (which I would link to but their site is annoying. Phtttth.)

1 comment:

BwcaBrownie said...

0 comments? I m laughing like crazy.
I was going to post that I LOVE your blog, after following your link at Laura at Sills Bend. and what do I get? the best catfood story. Laura loves cats and I cannot believe she has missed this Muffin story. What a star.
re the child on the subway: there is a god that protects pure naivety when it is at risk not of it's own making. XXX hb