Monday, July 25, 2005

The Meme

1. What were three of the stupidest things you have done in your life? Please note, these things were stupid, but I don't regret them. I couldn't be where I am now if I hadn't done them.

a) Dating and moving in with "Snake" during college. 'Nuff said.
b) Leaving college half-way through. See a.
c) Putting off learning to drive until I was 27.

2. At the current moment, who has the most influence in your life?
a) Muffin Man. Followed closely by Mr. Spock.

3. If you were given a time machine that functioned, and you were allowed to only pick up five people to dine with, who would you pick?
a) Jane Austen
b) Georgette Heyer
c) Laura Ingalls Wilder
d) Frances Hodgsen Burnett
e) Josephine Tey

4. If you had three wishes that were not supernatural, what would they be?
a) That everyone would actually learn how to live and let live. No more shooting at each other.
b) That the world in general and my country in particular would make a priority of universal health care. No more dying of curable diseases, no more infant mortality from preventable causes. And oh! No more starving to death while we're at it.
c) I'll talk to Mr. Spock about this one later.

5. Someone is visiting your hometown/place where you live at the moment. Name two things you regret your city not having, and two things people should avoid.

Regret:
a) That there is no viable public transportation to get from where I live into downtown DC.
b) We need a closer bookstore.

Avoid:
a) The Beltway. Especially on a rainy Thursday evening.
b) The weird little pub across the street.


6. Name one event that has changed your life. There are many, many answers to this one. Hard to choose just one.

a) When I was in my early 20's, I got hugely angry with MakesBooksForGrandkids and, by extension, SingsLullabys. I was so angry that I stopped talking to them. A month went by, then two. I couldn't communicate my anger, I couldn't communicate with them at all. After a point, it got so that I couldn't pick up the phone when I wanted to. What was I going to say? "Sorry I've been avoiding you like the plague"?

The upshot was I went into therapy so that I could re-establish communication with them. I missed them. I was angry but I didn't want to cut them out of my life. After 6 months of therapy and 10 months of no contact, I was finally able to write a letter to my dad. I stayed in therapy for over 3 years.

I infinitely regret the pain of that separation, but it was a huge catalyst for change in my life. My therapist helped me get my shit together in so many ways. I honestly could never have been in this marriage, could never have been the mom I am, could never have achieved a healthy adult relationship with my parents if I hadn't spent that time in counselling.

7. Tag 3 people.
Mr. Spock
Preludes and Nocturnes
Angry Pregnant Lawyer (have you been tagged yet?)

11 comments:

halloweenlover said...

Good meme. So you're not going to share # 4(c)? : )

I would totally want to meet Jane Austen also.

jenn said...

Ohh, and I shall certainly get to this right after I finish TOMORROW! That is, if I ever actually get my thesis presentation ready. Less than 24hrs till I present and I'm thinking I'll do an interpretive dance to represent my MA rather than the boring power point I've been working on this weekend.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

I haven't been tagged for this yet. I apologize in advance if all of my answers are somewhat snippy, a la Scrivener's post on this same meme. :-)

Piece of Work said...

I haven't seen this meme before, but I love it! It lets me know a lot about you. Though now I have to go read Scrivener's post on it, per APL, above.

Liz Miller said...

Snippy is good, APL. I was gonna do snippy but then I hadn't posted in so long that I decided to do it up big instead.

Liz Miller said...

Jenn, I can't believe the end is in sight! I'm so excited for you!

Running2Ks said...

Fabulous answers. I enjoyed doing this meme too. And 27 for driving? You couldn't have made me wait a day past 16 1/2 :)

Stevens Miller said...

4 c)...?

Anonymous said...

Can I come to your dinner party, pleeeease?

jenn said...

I suspect your 4c and my 4c are the same.

;>

Liz Miller said...

genevieve, you can absolutely come to the dinner party. But first you need to get a bloomin' blog!!!!