Monday, August 15, 2005

Pssst...hey kid, want some Harry?

I got TellsDonaldDuckStories hooked on Harry Potter. I did it with malice aforethought. I wonder what the maximum sentence is for that. On the one hand, he's not a minor. On the other hand, I know what Harry can do to an addictive personality. And TellsDonaldDuckStories is an addict: Coffee, poppy-seed bagels, and the New York Times. He's gotta have 'em and he'll travel pretty far to get 'em. Weekend visits have gotten much less tense since Starbucks started selling the NYT in all their shops.

So a few weeks ago they were down for a visit and I loaned him the first Harry Potter book. He read it during the hellacious trip home and went out and bought the whole set. And he bought another set for my neice and nephew.

I feel like a miniature version of Cyrus McPherson (nyah-haha!)*

*Cyrus McPherson was the villian in all of TellsDonaldDuckStories Donald Duck Stories (the ones he made up)

14 comments:

Stevens Miller said...

You forgot cigars. (And the fact that he counsels addicts.)

Liz Miller said...

He's really cut down on the cigars though.

RussianViolets said...

This was a GOOD thing. HP rules!

halloweenlover said...

I agree with Russianviolets, HP is a good thing. A lovely, happy, healthy addiction. Btw, I finished the book this weekend and can't. stop. thinking. about. it. Sigh.

Unknown said...

I have a pusher in my family, my older son (19), who insisted that I read HP two years ago and insisted that I read George R.R. Martin's books, and--well, you get the picture. At least this stuff is good for us!

Liz Miller said...

Ooohhh!! George R.R. Martin!!!

Have you read Robin McKinley? My favorite is "The Blue Sword" but her best known is "Beauty", which is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

Anonymous said...

I am Wild about Harry. I started reading them two weeks ago. I am currently reading the last one that has been published, The Half-Blood Prince.

Liz Miller said...

Welcome, Vegan Momma! When you're done reading HP & the HBP, go on over to Phantom Scribbler's HP Spoiler Thread and join in on the Pixie Party (194 comments so far!)

Unknown said...

Liz, I haven't read any Robin McKinley, but "Beauty" sounds like something I would enjoy. Unfortunately I haven't gotten as much reading done this summer as I usually do (too much blogging, you say? no...), but I will add it to my list for fall.

Yankee, Transferred said...

I fear I stand alone in a "Harry Potter? Haven't read one" world.

Liz Miller said...

YT, you're not alone. My other three parents haven't read them either.

My advice, go onto Amazon and read the first 3 pages that they have available. If you're going "eh, not my cuppa" then don't go any further.

Anonymous said...

I love Robin McKinley! Especially "The Blue Sword" and "The Outlaws of Sherwood".

Stevens Miller said...

I met George R. R. Martin at Worldcon '74. I asked him, "What does the 'R. R.' stand for?" He said, "Not 'rail road.'" He was very kind to me, talking about writing and his stories for quite a while. And I was just a snot-nosed kid of 16 with pointy ears.

Anonymous said...

I just put George R. R. Martin on my booksfree list on your recommendation. Looks good!