Monday, July 17, 2006

That little leap of faith

Today was Muffin Man's last swimming lesson of this session and...he didn't pass into the next group up. He won't hold his face in the water for 3 seconds. Actually, he will. But he's never done it for his teacher, the little imp. He's got everything else down pat. Ah well. Out of his class of 6 kids, only one was allowed to move up. His teacher says this is pretty normal, that most kids need 2 or 3 attempts at the beginner's class. So he'll be a Waddler again in the fall. Thank goodness for indoor pools!

His confidence in the water has gone up amazingly, I'm going to be practicing skills with him for ten minutes a day a couple of times a week at our local pool and every day during our vacation in Walt Disney World. That way, when class starts up again in the Fall, maybe he'll be ready to take that leap of faith of holding his face under water just long enough.

6 comments:

Liz Miller said...

Oooh! Blogger playdate in WDW! Let's!

KLee said...

Hooray for Disney World! When are you going? We'd chuck everything in a New York minute to head back down! Where are you staying? I've got a lot of reccomendations about WDW pools, if you're interested in all that sort of thing.

Glad to hear MM is comfortable in the water. That's good enough at his age -- it's the ones who are *petrified* of the water that I'm nervious about!

Yankee, Transferred said...

I'll tell you that both of my girls learned SO much from me in the pool. The swimming teacher could not believe the difference after we came back from vacation. Sweet little man, that MM

Anonymous said...

Awwww....

I agree that the important thing is that he's comfortable in the water. I think he'll get a tremendous amount of good after spending time with you too!

Where do you find the energy?

jenn said...

That was my first tough step with swimming. And by the time I hit kindergarten, I was a little fish in that water.

So no worries!

Anonymous said...

I don't think the levels (at this stage) are designed such that most kids "pass" the first time. That's what we've found at Level 2 as well - the instructor said J. should take it at least one more time, and that's what I heard her telling most of the others as well.