Sunday, April 15, 2007

I did my own hair!

You may not know this about me, considering the photo over there --> but I stopped cutting my hair when I started school. I want an updo at graduation, y'know? My hair's now just a bit below my shoulders, just long enough all around to put up in a pony-tail and not have to use barrettes to keep it all tidy.

So we were going to this black-tie shindig and I went to the hairdresser's to make an appointment to get my hair put up. And they wanted forty-five dollars. (gulp). And we're going to another event in 2 weeks. Ain't no way I wanna pay a hundred bucks on just putting up my hair for a few hours.

Anyhow, I had to go to the mall to pick up my new skirt from Nordstrom's (they'd hemmed it for me), and to buy an evening purse and a shawl. I figured, while I'm there, why don't I look around for something with which to do my own hair?

After looking here and there, I found a shop called "Pretty Pretty" that was selling hair accessories of all sorts (including wigs), and they had some beautiful crystal pins for $9.50 each. "How do these work?" I asked. She showed me. I watched. Then I undid what she did and redid it myself. It worked. I bought them. "You'll need hairspray to keep it together," she said. "Come on back in if you need help."

Fast forward to evening. I'm getting ready. I dampen my hair. I pull it back, I twist it. I shape it into a bun. I put the pins in. I let go. It all falls apart. I curse. I get my hair a little wetter. Pull back. Twist. Shape. This time I put in the first pin at 9:00. The next pin goes in at 3:00. The next at 1:00. At 11:00. The last goes in at 6:00. I let go. Everything stays. I check the mirror. It looks mahvelous. I call MS in to spray the bejesus out of my hair. He does.

I put on my makeup. The hair stays put.
I put on my clothes. The hair stays put.

I put on my shawl. Kiss Muffin Man. Say goodbye to the sitter. Gather up MS and drive to the ball. Hair. Stays. Put.

Come home several hours later. Cannot believe that my hair has stayed put.

Total for the evening (not counting shoes and jewelry which I already owned):

Fancy top: $47.50 (love it!)
Skirt: $55.00 (+ $15 for alterations 'cause it was on sale)
Bra: $75.00 (GAH!)
Shawl: $17.00 (JC Penney, beautiful and WARM)
Evening bag: $7.50 (Sears! Plain black faux silk)
Crystal hair pins (5 large): $50.00
Hose: $4.00
Hairspray: $5.00
-----------------------
Total: $276.00

And I get to use it all again in just two weeks which comes to $138.00 per evening. Not bad for an emergency get-up for a black-tie affair.

I'll get MS to take a picture of me from the back next time.

8 comments:

ccw said...

So glad it worked!

I love getting really dressed up. Glad you will get to use your outfit twice. It's always feels good when you get more use out of an outfit.

Anonymous said...

What kind of hair pins did you use?

Anonymous said...

How fun to be so girly!

Yankee T said...

I hope that 75.00 bra feels great!
Can't wait to see a photo of the hair.

Heather said...

I'm so jealous.

Knowing lots of non-profit directors gives me infinite opportunity to do the black-tie fundraiser event thing...'cept Charlie Brown doesn't like to play :(

But, honey, it's for a good cause!!!

Where's the checkbook? I'm still not dancing!

Grrr....

purple_kangaroo said...

Woohoo, good for you! And of course, some of those items (like the bra!) you'll wear many, many times.

Susie Sunshine said...

Isn't it something that a damn bra can cost more than a pretty skirt or shirt?!

Mummy/Crit said...

What a lovely story Liz! My hair is now long and I wear it in a ?(hmmm...we call it a french plait here where you start the braid at the top of your head and work your way down, gathering in hair as you go) almost every day. I'd love to be able to do more speccy things with it, but I get scared to try. You're an inspiration!