Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I love Amtrak

MM loves it too. He took himself to the little water fountain 5 or 6 times, figured out the locking mechanism in the bathroom and took himself to the potty several times, he stood up and danced alot and knelt on the floor in front of his seat to play with his pirates (he really loved those two little boxes, KLee!). He ate most of a ham hero that we bought in the cafe car and revelled in the fact that THERE ARE NO SEATBELTS.



Handy tip for taking Amtrak with children: invest in a Redcap. He (or she) will board you on the train early for the cost of a gratuity (I did $5.00/bag), and it leaves your hands free to keep your active child from attempting to find out what the under carriage of the train looks like.

6 comments:

Mummy/Crit said...

AMTRAK is fabulous! I love it too. no seatbelts is good too.

KLee said...

I took a train trip once -- from Wiesbaden to Munich. It was great. I ought to take more train trips.

Glad to hear that MM enjoyed his pirates. I just wish I'd gotten to meet him. He sounds like such fun! (Of course, I like his mom, so how could I not like him? Just hope I didn't frighten you off!)

susan said...

I love trains, too!

Whenever I have gone into CG's class for a field trip involving a school bus, the kids are all atwitter about how the school bus has no seat belts, too. I guess it makes sense, what with our use of car seats so much.

ccw said...

We want to take the kids home on the train just for the ride. I'm sure they would love the train.

jo(e) said...

I love travelling by train. I like just looking out the window and seeing the parts of towns you don't usually get to see.

Ann said...

Having never been on a train (unless you count a subway and we all know those don't count) and tending to suffer from a bit of motions sickness, I've always been afraid to try Amtrak. But you made it sound cool so maybe I'll have to rethink it. Do they have motion sick bags, just in case??