Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Gene Weingarten has lost me.

I'm not reading him anymore. His stance on this issue, that an overweight pageant winner sends an unhealthy message while one that smokes does not, is a deal-breaker for me. He will not even consider that Chloe Marshall might be more healthy than her skinnier peers in the pageant circuit. Please note that I'm not linking to his post on this, either. He can get readers on his own from now on, TYVM.

Instead of reading about his notions of what comprises a good standard of beauty, go here, and see what millenia of artists have thought about it instead.

FWIW, I have a BMI slightly lower than Ms. Marshall's. Not that BMI is the end-all-be-all. But because I have skinny arms and legs, my torso is quite a bit wider than hers...and I wear a size 8 Petite in LL Bean Flannel-lined Relaxed Fit Jeans, a size 6 in Jones NY Sport, and a size 10 in everything else. So there, Mr. "She's lying about her clothes size" Weingarten.

4 comments:

kathy a. said...

i don't even want to know what he wrote.

Antropóloga said...

I don't know anything about this issue, but I clicked over and saw the picture of the girl, and she looks perfectly lovely. It's impossible to say how "healthy" anybody is just by looking at them, anyway, but I'd say a constantly crashing dieting chain smoker who suntans is potentially facing more health problems than somebody who just tends to plumpness.

purple_kangaroo said...

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! There's something horribly wrong with our culture.

I had people telling me I looked great and asking me if I'd lost weight, because it looked great on me, when I had a BMI between 17 and 18. I didn't look great--I looked sick. Which I was.

debangel said...

::whine:::your "Wednesday" link is connected to the jeans!

And, you go Liz...that girl is gorgeous!! About time people started realizing that beauty, even contest-level beauty, comes in all shapes and sizes.