Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Back from my sister's!

MM and I had a wonderful time. MM caught a fish his very first time fishing. He jumped on a trampoline. Swam in my sister's pool. Fed the cats and the dog and the chickens. Politely asked the rooster to be quiet as, "everyone KNOWS it's the morning already! You told us a million times!"

I didn't wheeze. My eyes didn't swell shut or turn red or make me want to scratch them out. My tongue and throat didn't itch once. Zyrtec? Or allergies going away as mysteriously and suddenly as they appeared? I don't know, but I'm grateful.

10 hours each way on Amtrak with a six-year-old were a snap thanks to the miracle of a laptop with a DVD player. Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker, Shrek, and Buzz Lightyear kept us company, with occasional breathers playing kanoodle and my travel-sized Othello. And walks to the cafe car for rations. And, of course, potty breaks.

MM would have liked to stay 10 more days, and I would have too, but I have an interview tomorrow and a meeting in Richmond Thursday.

But we're going back. And soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have an interview! Congratulations, and good luck.

(And I'm glad to see you back.)

kathy a. said...

oh, the trip sounds glorious!

amtrak is good, no? nice seats, tables even, the cafe car, all the excitement of travel.

Gary said...

How cool! I'm not sure, even with 2 DVD players (for the boys) and a 55 gallon drum of Xanax (for me), that I could survive a 10 hour train trip with my boys. It's so great that you and MM had such a good time.

balancingact said...

We had a great time too.
Let me know how the interview went.

kathy a. said...

gary, it's nothing like 10 hours in a car. NOTHING! they can walk around, and you aren't driving, and there's a table, and the snack car! still, your mileage may vary.