Monday, August 10, 2009

Mommy, somebody told me luck doesn't exist..."

"...what do you think?"

"I think we make some of our luck ourselves."

"How?"

"By keeping our eyes open and our ears open and our mouths closed. And by being kind and thoughtful to others without being asked."

"Oh! I get it. Like if you're talking and not listening, you'll miss it when the teacher tells you something important? And that's bad luck? But if you listen and don't talk, you'll hear what you need to and if someone sees you being helpful at school, you can maybe get a prize and that's good luck!"

"That's it. And when you found that penny, it's because you were keeping your eyes open."

"People make their own luck. I like that."







I just realized that I'm going to have to tell him that sometimes bad things just happen and sometimes good things just happen, even when we haven't done anything to "deserve" it. Yipes. I've told him this before, but I'm afraid that the "you make your own luck" theory may be contradictory.

3 comments:

kathy a. said...

"we do the best we can with what we've got" kinda covers the territory. because sometimes bad things do happen. and sometimes we can make lemonade.

ccw said...

Maybe a we do make our own luck but there are times when we will still be unlucky?

I love his eyes/ears open and mouth shut; very smart boy.

Liz Miller said...

He's taking the eyes and ears open part to heart!