Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dear Democratic Members of Congress

I'm not sending this to my own congressional critter, Frank Wolf, because he's a tea-bagger. I'm making it an open letter to you instead.

I am a woman.

I am a hard-working Democratic advocate.

I ring doorbells. I make phonecalls. I hand out literature at the polls and on back-to-school-nights. And not just for my husband, but for every single democratic candidate for the last eight years.

I want healthcare reform. Actually, what I really want is universal health care, single-payer style, but I'll take what I can get.

I can get better than this.

You say your bill covers 95% of Americans.

But the Stupak amendment leaves me, and every citizen capable of getting pregnant, uncovered.

I am FURIOUS that you would vote for this amendment and this bill. How DARE you bargain with my body, my life, my health.

And what did you get for it? This bargain? Did Republicans come flocking to vote for the bill? No.

You are not going to get the Republicans to vote for any health care bill. You're not. Just face that and move on. Since you're not going to get that, why don't you try this: Go back to Square One. Universal Health Care. Single-Payer style. Medicare for Everyone. Starting at Birth. And women's health covered too.

Don't make me regret working to get Democrats elected. All Democratic candidates, not just the one I'm married to.

7 comments:

Magpie said...

Woot!

Did you actually send it? Please tell me you did. And tell me it's okay to lift a bunch of it and use it myself.

Liz Miller said...

I'm going to send it when I get home today.

Feel free to use as much as you want.

Unknown said...

Totally.

allison said...

*gives a standing ovation*

Unknown said...

You go!

Josh Dermer said...

So you want the Federal government to run the health care industry, but now you're complaining because it doesn't have exactly what you want? I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony in that.

Jenn said...

I haven't read your reply yet - but I just have to say as someone from a country with federally run health care that, hell yes, I made demands of them.

That would be the part where I elect them and then expect things in return.

And the part where I'm a bossy bossy lady. Damn strait.